If you have not noticed, the club’s official site has today published Arsenal’s first-team photo for the new 2010/11 season.
This annual group picture gives fans some perspective on the club’s staff together as those who choose to glue Arsenal FC on their walls will do so while others who only make observations will go ahead.
Let’s do the latter. And since the word ‘Arsenal’ has seven letters, here are seven indications from the picture above.
* Players keeping their exact spots from last year’s squad photo are Arshavin, Sagna, Rosicky, Bendtner, Van Persie, Fabregas, Clichy, Walcott and all the goalkeepers.
* Van Persie is indeed Arsenal’s assistant captain. Traditionally the two main skippers sit closest to Wenger (look at past photos) and Vermaelen, right next to Fabregas, might also have a case of taking over as third captain from Almunia.
* Frimpong, Lansbury, Eastmond, Emmanuel-Thomas and Nordveit, have all stepped up into the first-team and are likely to be the under-21 supplements to Wenger’s 25-man squad.
* If you are to rightly discount last season’s inclusions of Wilshere, Gibbs, and Merida (who had been named in the first-team squad before) as promoted players from the reserves, then this year’s addition of Frimpong and company is five more youngsters than last year’s zero. Influence of the home-grown rule perhaps?
* Djourou’s lengthy absence means he has been included in the ‘new signings’ section along with Chamakh and Koscielny in the middle.
* Noticed how there are no trophies sitting in front of them like there used to be? It was the same in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and now 2010.
* Aaron Ramsey can be seen.